10 Top proofreading tips
Our list of quick tips for proofreaders
- If you wrote the copy, get someone else to proofread it — they can approach the text as a stranger without your preconceptions.
- Have a tidy desk — you are your own worst interrupter if things catch your eye.
- It takes a lot of concentration — proofread when you are fresh.
- If you have to proofread your own copy, leave it and do something else first — give yourself time to forget what you wrote.
- Have the proofreader's tools of the trade handy — dictionary, thesaurus etc.
- Schedule — allocate time — proofreading is a specific task, not something just fitted in.
- Avoid interruptions — go somewhere, use a red flag system, hold phone calls.
- Take breaks — relax and then you can concentrate afresh.
- Divide into sections — set yourself a limit, "I'll do this and then stop for a moment."
- Do it at least twice — once for technical accuracy, once for sense.
Please contact us if you require any further information.