Proofreading errors destroy the effectiveness of documents.
Proofreading, in most organisations, is not carried out by professional proofreaders but by people with a range of responsibilities, one of which is the checking of documents.
Our proofreading training delivers the key skills needed to identify and correct errors and edit copy to achieve maximum impact.
Learn how proofreaders spot and correct the common errors of spelling, punctuation and grammar that can ruin good copy.
Edit text to give it greater clarity and effectiveness to get the message across as powerfully as possible.
Develop proofreading and editing skills that will be a valuable resource for your colleagues and your organisation.
Proofreading and Editing Training topics include:
Editing and proofreading
- What is the difference between proofreading and editing?
- Building in proofreading as part of the process
- Dealing tactfully with writers
Spotting the spelling mistakes
- Common spelling errors
- Spelling rules
- Regularly misspelled words
Editing for effectiveness
- Identifying stylistic problems
- Simple changes for big improvements
- Editing the layout to engage the skim reader
- When the grammar checker helps and when you should ignore it
- Punctuation marks defined
- Punctuation in the real world
- When the rules can be broken
The editing process
- Working with the writer
- Benchmark the right style for the reader
- Three-step editing
- Avoiding common errors
- Changes in current usage